Thursday, August 30, 2012

A Watched Pot Embroidery Project

I love to embroider. It is a good thing to do while I am watching NCIS, as I can keep my mind on the show and get something done while I am watching TV.

This embroidery project I found on Tipnut.com. It was free. I downloaded it last spring and copied it onto my material using my favorite marker - the Frixion pen. I just have to remember never to put my pen in the freezer. I just had to say that because there has been a lot of discussion on the web that those pen markings will come back if you put them in freezing weather. Living in California, I doubt my quilts will ever see freezing conditions. If they do, I will just iron them off again. In the mean time, I have a great marking pen that totally disappears when I iron the project.

Here are the six blocks. I have completed five of them and am well on my way to finishing the sixth. The fabric you see behind the finished blocks is the fabric that will sash the blocks. I want to find a very large flower print that has that same green in it and will go with the blocks. I am not having much luck. The large prints are usually more modern. I need something that will bring out the more retro look of the blocks.

Remember when you are going to embroider or applique on a block, to cut the blocks larger than what you want your finished block to be. The reason behind this is the fabric gathers up a little as you put your design on the fabric. If you start with the size needed for your quilt, your block will be too small when you are done embroidering. For these blocks, I started with a 12 1/2" x 15" cut.

I have several other projects I have already done the embroidery on but not put them into a quilt top yet. I will share those as I go through them and get them done. I also have probably 16 or 20 other embroidery projects that I want to start. It is a good thing I am young enough and healthy enough to probably get a few of those completed in my life time. I just have to quit looking at more projects that come along.

Here are the blocks:
A watched pot never boils

A new broom sweeps clean

A stitch in time saves nine

Beauty will not season soup

Too many cooks spoil the broth

First come, first served

I am loving how they turned out. But then I love anything that has embroidery on it.

Keep on Quilting


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Please feel free to post your comments here.