I bought a book last summer of Farmer's Daughters quilt block patterns. The finished blocks are six inch squares. There are over a hundred blocks in the book. I figured, tee hee, that if I would do one block a week, in two years I could put together a beautiful quilt. I came home after buying the book and immediately made my first block. Block #1. Finished. Yeah. It took me two days to make this block because the size of the pieces inside the block. I posted that cute little block up on my wall with great pride looking forward to her sister blocks being there with her. Oh my poor lonesome block. There it sits staring down at me. All alone it is. No sister block next to it. None even started. I'm not even sure where the book is now. Okay, optimistically now, I can make that quilt in three years!
I joined my guild's UFO Challenge in January. We were to list ten, only ten, UFOs to complete this year - 2014. Okay. Incentive. That's what I need. This will make me work on those quilts. I'm not going to get up at the end of the year and confess I didn't get any completed.
Here"s my list:
1. Embroidered Car quilt. I started this quilt about a year ago. It has several embroidered blocks of old cars and pickups and road signs and a map. The embroidery is done. Now the piecing. Lots and lots of flying geese. I have two of the pieced blocks done. None of the flying geese. I did buy the backing last week. Maybe with that fabric staring at me, I will be encouraged to get it all out and finish it. Maybe.
2. New York Beauty BOM. Started that last January. January 2013, that is. There were four blocks a month to make in a six month BOM program. I've done 12 blocks total.
3. I took a class given by Peggy Martin where we designed our own blocks. Loved the class. Made three blocks in class. They are large blocks and figured I should make six for a good sized quilt. I've made three blocks, did I say?
4. Dotted 30s. That's a queen size quilt. Finished that in July 2013. Well, not finished. Completed the top. Need to quilt it. Okay, okay. Don't push me!
5. Halloween quilt 2013. I make a Halloween quilt every year. I have more Halloween quilts than anything else. Love the colors. Love the designs of Halloween. Well I didn't get the top finished until after Halloween, so it is in my needs to be quilted pile (pile of 8 quilts).
6. Christmas Spiral. I sold several of my quilts this past year. When Christmas came around I had only one to display. Only one! So I started another one in December. I knew I would not get it totally finished before Christmas. I did get the top finished. Needs to be quilted. But hey, I have 10 more months. No big deal.
7. In my Christmas Spiral quilt (see #6 above), I made a bunch of pinwheel blocks without a pattern in mind. When all was said and done, I had 12 - 10 inch pinwheel blocks left. So I made another quilt top. Still needs quilting.
8. Wildflower Rhapsody. No not the big beautiful BOM some people did a couple of years ago. This one is made using Wildflower Rhapsody fabrics. It is done. As I sit here, I cannot even remember what the design is. Still needs quilting.
9. In November 2012 I started a quilt using a couple of charm packs of Americana fabrics. I finally finished the top in September. Needs quilting. Hmm, I see a pattern here. I can't seem to get these things quilted.
10. Garden Flowers. I love to embroider. I embroidered 15 blocks of different sizes of wild flowers in baskets. I started the embroidery in July of 2009. They are done and have been since 2012. I cannot find the pattern to do the piecing around them and I'm too lazy to figure out my own quilt design. One of these days I will either clean up my sewing studio and find the pattern or. . . ?
I wrote this UFO Challenge list up the first week of January. My 2014 Bucket List of quilting events to be done. Since then, I bought and made a top for a raffle for my husband's golf course. I'm designing a moose applique quilt. I bought a pattern and some black and white fabric to start a quilt for someone special for Christmas. I finished a quilt for my niece's baby. I bought fabric and made a Ricky Tims' Convergence quilt. And I bought five yards of Ricky Tims' hand dyed fabric - with no pattern decided on. Oh and I bought a new ruler that I haven't even opened yet. And I finally found a pattern to make for my son and his fiance's wedding present. Must start that soon.
Okay, okay. I will get to those UFOs. One of these days.
Now why did I start writing about UFOs? Oh that's right. I found a small table runner that was made in 2007 and never quilted. I quilted it. Thought you would like to see it. See I do finish things. Eventually.
Keep on Quilting